Saturday, October 1, 2016

The Climb

After looking through a number of pictures, I chose this one because of the climb that had already occurred, and the climb that will continue. At this point I have spent many years studying areas I am interested in, beginning with the Graduate Diploma in learning support. That started me on the journey toward the job I’m in now, which prompted a greater awareness of the psychological development of both adults and children. That led to an interest in psychology, and while the many courses I took in that area were intended for a different pathway, I realize now how they opened my eyes toward the possibilities to be found in leadership. I honestly don’t know at this
point if I want to be an administrator; my thoughts on that vacillate almost daily! I do know, though, that I like being a leader, and that I can be a good one. This image reminds me that the journey is ongoing. Until the day I die, I will never stop learning.






Brookfield chapter
It was exciting to read the chapter on critical reflection, recognizing that we can only challenge our assumptions by continuing to look through our ideological lens. It creates an intriguing loop; how do we escape our way of looking at the world? I love trying. It is particularly helpful for me to remember that “(n)o one likes to discover that ideas they have lived by for much of their life are invalid” (p. 29). What might seem like an obvious change to me might be world-altering for someone else, and that kind of transformation does not happen quickly. Thinking of it this way helps me to be more patient with others...and makes me wonder what sort of mindshift others are waiting patiently for me to attain!

October 30, 2016 - additional thoughts: In reading through Handford’s article in Key
Questions for Educational Leaders I came across a quote that I have loved for a long time, and that is completely applicable here. It’s from the Talmud:
We see things not as they are. We see them as we are.

Metaphor for Education
The metaphor for education that Michelle and I focused on is that education should not be preparing students to simply be cogs in a wheel. In our picture, that means not staring at the ground, but instead looking to the endless possibilities of the stars. We should be engaging students in questioning, finding, and examining myriad aspects of the world. Coming to school should be exciting, as we seek to learn and find information about areas that interest us. This, however, is quite a mind shift and one that is frightening to many teachers. I know for myself that big picture thinking and fluidity of learning is not a natural state. It is one that I have had to work on, and while I am completely open to it and believe in it wholeheartedly, it is not easy! I think that the there is an unquestionable need for students to learn the fundamentals of literacy and numeracy. How we learn those concepts and what we do with them are where the system bogs down. No child should ever feel depressed or bored or disappointed at the thought of going to school. That doesn’t mean that the teacher is the entertainer; rather, that every child (and their teachers) understands that learning requires questioning and exploring, and that learning how to do those things productively is what school should be all about.

What makes a good educational leader?
My ideas of what makes a good educational leader...someone who sees each encounter/situation with an open mind and willingness to see new elements; someone who is able to figure out how others need to be “handled” and do that with genuine skill and caring. I think an educational leader should be knowledgeable, but willing to admit it when she doesn’t have the answer and especially willing to listen to the ideas and suggestions of others; even when different from what she has planned! I do think an educational leader should be someone who is organized. It is such a multi-faceted job that someone who is scattered will easily forget important details. Someone who has a good rapport with people in general, who instills good feelings in others and makes them feel at ease, is an asset. It is difficult to lead others when they are uncomfortable around you. I enjoyed reading the article in the Jossey book that talked about being “present”. That is an essential skill. Even this week I have made a concerted effort to ensure that I am present in all the conversations I have. I know that I have a tendency to multitask, reducing my “presence” in a conversation; I was better at that this week, because I tried to be! Ultimately, an educational leader is someone who is still learning, and is willing to share the growth process with others - both as a “teacher” (leader) and as a “learner”.

National Geographic vision - celebrate what’s right with the world


Open ...I completely loved this video. The concept of looking for the good, the right, the beautiful in the world and celebrating that is a glorious one, quite frankly. What a mind shift, really. I know that I have quite blend of positive and negative in my thinking: while I love to give people the benefit of the doubt and consciously look for good in each person, I also tend to judge quite quickly and...well...harshly. Reminding oneself each day to seek the right in the world is a beautiful way to set up the day. I am going to try to do that; reflect each morning on what is right, what is good...and not focus on the frustrating or the annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment