Saturday, April 7, 2018

Exhilaration

As we begin our last course of this Master's of Leadership program, it seems an appropriate time to reflect on where I was - personally and professionally - when I began the program, and where I am now. Looking back through my reflections from those early days, I came across an image I had chosen to show how I felt about myself as a leader. I saw myself on a journey, without a known destination in mind. The image shows the great climb that has already occurred, and the trajectory shows that the climb continues. For myself, this reminded me that my desire for lifelong learning means that the climb will never finish.


Almost two years later, after learning and growth and experiences that have stretched me, a new reflection of how I perceive myself as a leader led me to this image:


Reading back over my notes from our first class, I notice that while I saw myself as a leader in my small sphere, I wasn't yet sure of either my interest in expanding that sphere, or my abilities to do so. The skydiving image resonates with me because now I feel that, despite the risks of embracing leadership at a more formal level, the prospect is exhilarating! A key element to that, of course, is the fact that the best way to mitigate the risks is to have a team surrounding you; a team built on trust and collaboration and common purpose. 

I find that the various courses we have taken over the past 18 months have given me such an array of tools that I now feel well prepared to take on the role of administration. Ideas that hadn't even occurred to me before starting this program have become key to how I view educational leadership: the importance of timely supervision of instruction for school staff; an understanding of the inner workings of a school budget - and the difficult choices administrators have to make to support their school community; the law guiding educational practice; and the ethical dilemmas to be addressed on a daily basis. Most importantly, however, I've learned how crucial it is for a leader to be present, to be available, and to have a clear understanding of the pulse of the school community. The building of relationships is at the core of a trusting and effective team, and I feel so strongly that over the past months I've developed the skills to build those relationships with staff, students, and parents. 

And so, my exhilaration! What lies next remains uncertain, but I know that I anticipate it with eagerness and enthusiasm, because of who I have become through this program. 

No comments:

Post a Comment